Our mailing address is:

High Woodlands Homeowner's Association
P.O. Box 772
Kirkland, WA 98083-0772

Next Board Meeting:

The next meeting will be Monday, August 5th at 7:30PM, at the pool.

Board Meeting Dates

Mark your calendars! Board Meetings are generally held the first Monday of the month at 7:30 PM. Most Board meetings are held at Robert Frost Elementary School Library unless otherwise noted. All homeowners are welcome and encouraged to attend.

Welcome to the High Woodlands Homeowners Association Website

Thank you

Thank you to Frances Clarke and her team of volunteers who made this year’s Easter Egg Hunt such a wonderful time for everyone. Thanks to Cindy Zens and Anna Kong who provided the food we all enjoyed at the Hunt. This was such a fun way to kick off the new season at the park and pool.

A big thanks to the gentlemen who helped move the tables from the pool house to the shelter and park. Doan V., Ken V., Jim E., Mark P., Jamey M., Dave L., Brian C., Richard K., and Willy S. Many hands make light work. If you are willing to help move the tables once or twice a year please let Crystal know in the pool house. The job takes about 15 minutes once everyone is present.

High Woodlands Community Groups

As we all know, High Woodlands is a great place to live and full of interesting people. To help us get to know each other better and share our common interests, we’ve posted a notice on the board at the pool office. Please take a look and let us know what appeals to you. We want to hear from you, not only at the pool, but whenever you have an idea to share. Feel free to contact us.

Play Structure Replacement Update

We are so excited to announce that Phase 1 of replacing the existing structures and equipment at the park will soon be underway! The committee and board have reviewed and approved an initial quote to make the following changes after Labor Day:

Expanding the footprint – this will increase the size by about 1,680 sq. ft, prepping the space for upgrades and additions in the future. We’ll also be leveling, laying a new fabric barrier, and resurfacing with playground-grade wood chips.

Removing old equipment – as the space is readied for further improvements down the road, Phase 1 will also include removal and disposal of the existing metal slide and swing set.

Installation of new equipment – we’ll be replacing the old metal swing set with a lower profile, 4-swing structure (two infant seats, two children seats) in the expanded section of the play area.

The cost to make these Phase 1 improvements is approximately $30,000. We are hoping to find about $3,000 in cost savings by taking on the equipment removal ourselves. A few homeowners have already volunteered, and we’re so grateful! The more we can do ourselves may mean Phase 2 improvements happen sooner.

Phase 2 will include the removal and replacement of the large red/yellow/blue structure. We’re looking at two options; a large structure suitable for ages 2-12 or two separate structures geared to 2-5 year-olds and 5-12 year-olds. We want to ensure we are selecting and installing quality, durable pieces and that comes with a high price tag. As a result, the committee is looking to collect a modest, onetime Special Assessment of $150 to cover these improvements, as we are already using reserve funds to cover Phase 1.

A $150 per household assessment would net approximately $48,750 to use toward new equipment. We know it’s a lot to ask but as we have some of the area’s lowest HOA dues, we are hopeful that each of you recognize the enormous benefit this additional sum would bring to all of the kids that use our park! We’ll continue to keep you updated as we kick off Phase 1 and determine more concrete next steps for Phase 2. Please don’t hesitate to reach out with questions, we want to hear from you!

Suspicious Activity

Our park, ravine, and wooded areas can occasionally draw individuals intent on illegal activity, particularly at night. The Association has a signed Criminal Trespass Order on file with the Kirkland Police that allows them to arrest individuals not authorized to be on our common property. If you observe something out of the ordinary, please call 911 (or non-emergency 425-577-5656). We appreciate your help.


We once again remind you that our streets have a 25mph limit. With the warmer temperatures, there is a growing number of walkers, joggers, and cyclists in our neighborhood. Please be mindful especially of children who are unpredictable. Some homeowners have been contacting the Kirkland Police asking for more enforcement. If you are concerned, please contact the police through their non-emergency number (425-577-5656). Or email them at: police@kirklandwa.gov

New Board Members

We would like to welcome David Yates and Dulcy Hernandez to the board. We appreciate their willingness to serve our community as Vice President and Architecture Chair respectively.

Parking on Street is Limited to 24 Hours

Please be aware that according to the Kirkland Municipal Code, a vehicle (including a boat, car, and RV) can park no longer than 24 hours on a residential street. We now and then get complaints about this. To report a violation, call the Kirkland Police Department at (425) 587-3400 (non-emergency line) or submit an online Complaint Investigation Request at: City of Kirkland Code Enforcement

From our experience, the police do issue tickets which can be pricey. Please make alternate parking arrangements if you need to keep a vehicle long term at your residence.

Bobcat Sighting

There was a report recently of a bobcat in the vicinity of NE 144th. According to the Washington State Department of Fish & Wildlife, bobcats are more common than most people realize. Bobcats appear to be using suburban settings more often, although due to their reclusive ways, they are not often seen. Because of this elusive nature and caution around humans, we normally do not see them around. In areas occupied by humans, these cats typically limit their activity to night hours.

This is a good reason to not leave pet food outside and to make sure your garbage cans are secure. And do not let small pets out at night.

Tennis Courts

They have been completely refurbished! The new surface makes for a very enjoyable game. Please come use it soon. We do ask that you and your children refrain from riding bikes on the court.

Reminder — No Outdoor Burning

Outdoor burning is not allowed at any time in the City of Kirkland. This includes yard waste, garbage, construction debris, trash, etc. The City does not restrict the use of barbecue grills or fire pits. This ban is effective at all times, not just during air quality alerts when the air is stagnant.

Hospitality Team

Are you passionate or interested in giving a friendly welcome to new neighbors in High Woodlands? Would you like to volunteer a small amount of your time for a high impact to making your neighborhood being an even more pleasant place? Please consider joining our Hospitality Team whose main role is to welcome new homeowners to our community. Contact Dulcy at dulcylinnea@gmail.com to help out!

High Woodlands is 50 Years Old!

This year marks High Woodlands' 50th birthday! One of our neighbors, Dulcy, had the opportunity to hear memories and stories from an original homeowner. Her story is here. Please enjoy.

Electronic Delivery of the Newsletter

For those of you who wish to access our neighborhood newsletter electronically as soon as it is posted, you can receive an email message that it is available with a direct link to the newsletter on our website. We will also continue to deliver a paper copy of the newsletter to your door step. To subscribe, click on Newsletter. Then click on Subscribe. Type in your email address and click on "Submit Your Information". Then you will be sent an email with a link to confirm that you want to subscribe. Your email address is secure and will not be shared with anyone. You may also unsubscribe at any time.

City to Help Reduce Speeding on 117th and 119th Avenues NE Through Our Neighborhood

The fatal accident in our neighborhood at 119th Ave NE and NE 144th St is a serious reminder of the need for all of us to drive safely by adhering to the speed limit, coming to a complete stop at stop signs, and being observant of the many children, walkers, joggers, and bicyclists on our streets and sidewalks.

Prior to this tragedy, the City of Kirkland had proposed making changes in the signage and striping along 117th / 119th NE between NE 140th and NE 153rd Streets. This was the result of High Woodlands homeowner Sally Batson and her neighbors bringing pressure to bear on the City to address ongoing speeding and traffic issues, particularly on 117th near NE 142nd.

The planned changes are illustrated in this PDF file.

October 2014 Traffic Discussion Minutes (PDF format)

The City completed three traffic studies along this street and has had input from the Kirkland Police Department, as well as input from some area residents. The City will be installing the new signs within the next several weeks, and is looking at options to fund the road markings, either in 2014 or 2015.

All High Woodlands residents should: 1) contact Kathy Robertson, Kirkland Neighborhood Traffic Control Coordinator, at krobertson@kirklandwa.gov or (425) 587-3870 and express your strong support for this proposal. There are funding issues, and the more citizens who insist on this, the greater chances of something happening. I know we’d like to see more, but this is a start.

And 2) contact Corporal Lapaki Zablan of the Traffic Unit at the Kirkland Police Department at lzablan@kirklandwa.gov or (425) 587-5344 and request more frequent and consistent enforcement of the speed limit on 117th / 119th NE. This is becoming a basic safety issue in our neighborhood and the more of us who request police presence, the greater the likelihood of their responding.

Also, for specific speeding incidents about which you do not want to call 911, do not hesitate to call the police non-emergency number: (425) 577-5656. Another useful tool is to send an email to police@kirklandwa.gov. This will also establish a record of your communication.

Local Crime Information

It's extremely important to call the police if you see anything out of the ordinary. Be aware of people knocking on doors claiming to be lost or acting unusual. The Kirkland Police have recently made available crime mapping data where you can go online to see recent crimes in the neighborhood. Go to CrimeMapping.com, click on Washington State, then select Kirkland Police. This online tool allows you to be more aware of what type of crimes are occurring in the area. You can also customize your search by date, area, and crime type.

City of Kirkland E-Mail Alerts

Sign up to receive updates via email from the City of Kirkland, by subscribing at:


A solicitor from a company called EcoFirst Pest Control (http://www.ecofirstpestcontrol.com) has been bothering folks in the area. He ignores "No Soliciting" signs, and has been acting very rudely. Eco First Pest Control company does not have a City of Kirkland business license or solicitor license (they must have both). If you see them, please call 911 and say that there is an unlicensed solicitor who is acting rudely, and could they please send an officer to talk to the person. Be sure to note the solicitor's description, the address where you see them, and their direction of travel, if possible.

A person has been in the neighborhood claiming to be from ADT Security. He wears a jacket with ADT on it. The fact is ADT has told us that they NEVER employ door to door sales/marketing people. Its a scam and everyone needs to be cautious. It could be a rouse to see which houses have security systems. If they come to your house call ADT at 800-369-0996 to report the incident. You may also want to call the Sheriff's department.

Door-to-door solicitation is allowed in Kirkland City limits with a valid City-issued business license [and solicitor permit]. The City must be given dates and times of solicitation, company identification, and the names of the solicitors. To verify if a solicitor is licensed by the City, call the Licensing Division at (425) 587-3140.

Neighborhood flowers Neighborhood park Neighborhood flowers Neighborhood pool Neighborhood park